Sheila Suess Kennedy
Professor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Director, IU Center for Civic Literacy
Office: BS 4061
- J.D. cum laude, Indiana University School of Law
- B.S. with honors, Indiana University
- A.A. Stephens College for Women
- Executive Director, Indiana Civil Liberties Union 1992-1998
- President, Kennedy Development Services 1987-1992
- Partner, Mears Crawford Kennedy & Eichholtz 1980-1986
- Republican Candidate, 11th Congressional District 1980
- Corporation Counsel, City of Indianapolis 1977-1980
- Associate Attorney, Baker & Daniels 1975-1977
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indiana Leadership Celebration
- American Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
- American Society for Public Administration
- Indiana Society for Public Administration
- Law & Society Association
Major fields of expertise
- Constitutional Culture
- Charitable Choice
- Civil Liberties / Civil Rights
- Religion and Public Policy
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Media and Public Policy
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess and Shultz, David. "American Public Services: Constitutional and Ethical Foundations" (Jones and Bartlett, 2010).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "Distrust, American Style: Diversity and the Crisis of Public Confidence" (Prometheus Books, 2009).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "God and Country: America in Red and Blue" (Baylor University Press, 2007).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess and Wolfgang Bielefeld. "Charitable Choice at Work: Faith-Based Job Training in the States" (Georgetown University Press, 2006).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "Pickin' Fights with Thunderstorms" (C.S. Kern Publishing, 2005).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess and Ingrid Ritchie. "To Market, To Market: Reinventing Indianapolis" (University Press of America, 2001).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "Free Expression in America: A Documentary History" (Greenwood Press, 1999).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "What's a Nice Republican Girl Like Me Doing at the ACLU?" (Prometheus Books, 1997).
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "Religious Philanthropies and Social Programs" in Issues and Tensions In Religious Philanthropies, Center for Study of Religious and American Culture, T. Davis, editor. 2011
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "The ACLU" and "Checks and Balances" in the Encyclopedia of the United States 2010.
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "Religious Paradigms and the Rule of Law: Thinking in Red and Blue" in Studies in Law, Politics and Society, Austin Sarat, series editor. Elsevier Science Inc. 2006.
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess and Laura S. Jensen. "Outsourcing Patriotism: Privatization, Sovereignty and War." Transatlantic Public Policy Series, Vol. 2. Transaction Publishers, N.J. 2006.
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "The Poor You Have Always With You: The Problem of the Sturdy Beggar" in Essays on Indiana Legal History. Bodenhamer, David and Randall Shepard, editors. Ohio University Press, 2006. pp.90-109.
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess and Laura Jensen. "Government Ethics and Constitutional Accountability" in George G. Frederickson and Richard K. Ghere, Ethics in Public Management. M.E. Sharpe, 2005
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess. "Government Shekels and Government Shackles Revisited: Questions for Church and State." In Exploring Black Philanthropy: New Directions for Philanthropic Fundraising, No. 48. Patrick Rooney, and Lois Sherman, eds. Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess, "The Bill of Rights," "The Incorporation Doctrine," "Congress and Civil Liberties," and "Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire" in the Encyclopedia of Civil Liberties (2004)
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess, "Indiana." in Legal Systems of the World: a Political, Social and Cultural Encyclopedia, ABC-CLIO, Santa Barbara. (2003)
- Kennedy, Sheila Suess, "Writing in Service of Thought." in Writing in the Arts, Sciences and Professional Schools at IUPUI, IUPUI Office of Campus Writing, (2002).
- SPEA-V 540 Law and Public Affairs
- SPEA-V 376 Law and Public Policy
- SPEA-V 450/SPEA-V 550 The Individual and the Community
- SPEA-V 260 Sin and Crime
- SPEA-V 450 / SPEA-V 550 Mass Media and Public Affairs
- SPEA-V 450 / SPEA-V 550 Classic Confrontation: Policy Then and Now
- SPEA-V 550 Religion and Public Policy
- Regular columnist for Indianapolis Business Journal; former columnist for Indianapolis Star, Indiana Word
- Editorial Board, Public Administration Review
- Indiana Advisory Committee, U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
- Co-chair, City-County Council Caucus 2003 Transition Team
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee Race Relations Advisory Council
- Board, American Values Alliance
- Steering Committee, Lawyers Council, ACLU of Indiana
Awards and recognition
- Chancellor's Faculty Award for Excellence in Civic Engagement, 2010
- Trustee Teaching Award, IUPUI, 2009
- Outstanding Alumni of the Year, IU School of Law–Indianapolis, 2008
- Robert Risk Award for Lifetime Achievement, ACLU of Indiana, 2008
- Johnson Award for Best Paper in Ethics and Accountability, 2005
- Champion of Liberty Award from the Marion County Libertarians, 2004
- Building Bridges of Understanding Award from Indy Choruses, 2004
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers, 2004, 2005
- Citation of Excellence, Emerald Management Independent Review Board
- IUPUI's Outstanding Female Faculty (one of 47), 2002
- Who's Who in America 2002
- Jencks Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Field of Law in Indiana (2002)
- Indiana Liberty Award, Lambda Legal Defense (2001)
- American Library Association, 30th Anniversary Roll of Honor, Office for Intellectual Freedom and Freedom to Read Foundation (1999)