Thank you for your interest in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IUPUI. A graduate degree from SPEA Indianapolis prepares students for our society's diverse landscape of ideas, culture, policies and challenges. IUPUI’s proximity to state, federal and local government as well as corporations and nonprofit organizations give graduate students hands-on experience and many opportunities to network with professionals in their fields, starting with their fellow graduate students. And you'll study at one of the highest-ranked but lowest-cost graduate programs in the country!
SPEA Indianapolis offers many choices for graduate studies:
- Master of Public Affairs, a 48-hour program with five concentrations—Nonprofit Management (ranked #6 in the nation by U.S. News and World Report !), Urban Sustainability, Criminal Justice, Policy Analysis and Public Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice and Public Safety, a 36-hour program in which you can choose to focus on criminal justice or public safety. People working in the field may qualify for up to 6 hours of mid-career credit!
- Master of Public Affairs – Doctor of Jurisprudence joint degree
- Master of Public Affairs – Master of Arts in Philanthropic Studies joint degree
- Five certificates, in Nonprofit Management; Homeland Security and Emergency Management; Public Management; Social Entrepreneurship: and Executive Certificate in Library Management. Certificates are a great way to sample SPEA’s offerings and launch your graduate studies, because credit earned in a certificate program may be applied to a master’s degree.
Have questions about graduate school, financial aid, admission requirements, the GRE, IUPUI or SPEA? We’re happy to answer them. We can give you a tour, and introduce you to current SPEA grad students and faculty members.
SPEA offices: Business/SPEA Building, 801 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, Room 3025
Call us: 317-274-4656
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful hints for applying to SPEA's master's degree programs
SPEA requires official transcripts for all work that was completed outside of the IU system. Students who have not completed undergraduate course work at the time of application must submit current transcript(s) and may be admitted based on the strength of previous academic work but a final transcript showing that an undergraduate degree has been awarded must be submitted before the student can enroll.
SPEA requires three (3) references for the MPA program. If you submit email addresses for your recommenders in the recommendation section of the online application, they will receive the online electronic reference form to complete and submit via email. If you have graduated within the last four years, please submit at least one recommendation from a faculty member you had for a class.
SPEA requires official GRE, GMAT, or LSAT scores for admission into our master's degree programs. If you take the GRE, please provide the testing site with SPEA's institution code R 1325 and MPA 2204 for them to forward your scores. Please allow a minimum of four (4) weeks for the results of the GRE or GMAT to be received in time for review. For GMAT scores, please send them to the Master of Public Affairs Program at IUPUI. LSAT scores can only be used for students who apply to the Law School.
You may email a current resume to email@example.com.
You must complete the supplemental questions and personal statement. You can create a Word document with your answers and upload the document in the online application or you can email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are applying to a dual program please be sure to send copies of all documents to both programs.
Students who have completed a certificate program and are applying to a master's program must complete a new application using new log in information.
- Request for College or University Transcript
- Reference Form
- Release of Confidential Information - for fellowship applicants only
- Supplemental Questions
- Graduate Assistantship Application
- Master of Public Affairs Mid-Career Credit Option Application
- Service Credit Application